JEFFREY KUTCHER – THE INSPIRER
My name is Jim Holden, the founder of Fish for Life. I live in San Clemente, California and am an avid salt water fisherman. I have a dear friend, Jeffrey Kutcher who has cerebral palsy.
Jeffrey and I have had many lunches over the years and often times we have talked about fishing. During one lunch in 2009 I asked Jeffrey, “Let’s go do something besides lunch some day, what would you like to do?” Well with a big smile Jeffrey replied “I’d love to go fishing!”
On the way back to the office that day from lunch with Jeffrey a calling was revealed!
God then blessed me with ideas one after another! Ideas like:
- Why not take a BOATLOAD of kids with Cerebral Palsy fishing?!
- Why limit the trips to kids with cerebral palsy, why not include kids with any type special need?!
- Involve a crew of non-special needs kids & adult volunteers to serve them!
- Include speakers before the trip to honor our honored guests and their families!
- Provide everyone aboard with a cool T-Shirt to wear on the trip!
- Have someone say a prayer to honor God before each trip!
- Have someone or a group to sing the National Anthem to honor our country!
- How about rolling a Red Carpet down the gangplank to introduce each honored guest!
- What about a name for this program, How about Fish for Life!
As plans were developing, I told Jeff that I wanted to make him business cards with the title of his choice. I suggested “First Mate” or “Crew” or a variety of other titles and then after deep consideration Jeff produced a big smile and said, “Inspirer”!
Since the maiden voyage in 2010, we have launched 28 Fish for Life trips with 100 people aboard per voyage!